How to rank top 10 in Google for Davide Corradi in less than 24 hours

by oskarokupa on February 9, 2010

Ranking 7th in Google.co.uk for Davide Corradi

Ranking 7th in Google.co.uk for Davide Corradi

My good friend Davide Corradi dared me to rank for his name without using any of the typical on-page optimisation techniques we are all aware of.  His reason to do this, was his surprise when in my previous post, Google ranking factors distribution graph,  I stated that on page optimisation factors accounted only for a 15% of rankings.

How did I do this? Well, it just took me one hour. My friend Davide is a great SEO, but all the web properties and social profiles where his name appears in, lack a good number of different domains linking to these properties with right anchor text. My challenge was to make the test page to rank for “Davide Corradi” without using the word in any of the highly scoring areas that all SEOs know about: title, headings, alt tags, bolded and italic words, etc. After creating the page, which took me literally 1 minutes, since it hasn’t got any content, I linked to it from the home page of my blog, and added this page to the blogroll to get an additional sitewide link with right anchor text. Internal linking is not enough to rank for a keyword that has nothing to do with your topical theme, but it is a good start to tell Google that this page was going to be important in the site architecture.

After this, I decided to fit a few links with “Davide Corradi” as the text link, in the first paragraph of other web properties that I created for a previous test. These web properties have no PageRank and almost nof links to them, they have nothing to do with the topics associated with  “Davide Corradi” (pizza, pasta, rock music, and bad dancing : ) , but I knew that as long as they were cached, it should be enough.

Additionally, I got a couple of links from two more established pages, nothing too high in terms of PageRank, but with enough authority to give it a bit of a push.

I did a couple of things more that didn’t work. Like creating a keyword rich blog pointing to that page. However, this blog hasn’t been cached, so It has no impact on this result at the moment.

In all fairness, we have to be just with Davide because there are a number of things that make this test flawed:

• “Oscar Carreras” is a much more competitive key phrase than “Davide Corradi”. A previous president of the chamber of commerce in Argentina is called “Oscar Carreras”, and there are more results competing for that query
  • My blog is older than Davide’s and has more link equity than his. Authority factors of the page being inherited from the domain, were a big part of my ranking distribution factors post, as part of the query independent link metrics bit within the graph. That kind of proves my hypothesis, but being right doesn’t make the test juster.
  • The problem with on-page optimisation is that is a one-off activity, and you can tweak it as much as you want or increasing the keyword density or even trying some semantic techniques (synonyms, related keywords, etc), but in the end there is not much else you can do. Off-page optimisation is a never ending process and even hitting the first place doesn’t make you stop. Your competitors will keep getting links and overtake you if you stop

In conclusion, this was an interesting test, and I wonder if I could get the page to rank first for “Davide Corradi” if I keep working on it. I didn’t use any of the numerous tools in the link builder tool belt, such as directories submissions, article syndication or even requesting links. If this page hadn’t been in my blog, I could have gone more “black hat” on it and use a few shady link generation techniques. That would have made it rank first very quickly but it would have probably be banned straight away. I also wonder if removing the only instance of the key phrase “Davide Corrradi”, only words in the cited page other than the boilerplate ,would make any difference; and if only with the power of the links, with no keyword match within the copy, the page could also rank for the query, the same way that Google did for “caffeine” in the past.  I could have also exposed the page to social media outlets like Twitter or Facebook to see if the social graph algorithms had some impact on rankings, as I hinted in my previous post too, and as my friend Davide did, but I didn’t think that could strictly be considered off-page techniques, so I ruled it out.

A few takeaways:

• Local domains don’t matter. My blog is hosted in the US and has a geographically neutral TLD (.org). The rankings are the same for Google.co.uk or Google.com .
  • Google Caffeine infrastructure update is amazing. My page was created last night, around 22. Around 11 AM today it was already ranking 11. It took it around 20 hours to reach the seventh position. This couldn’t be happening if Google hadn’t computed the links I created so quickly. This was the competitive advantage of Mr Corradi, he only needed Google to index his page in order to rank, for me it was essential that Google would index the rest of the pages and calculate the value of the links and pass them on to the page relevance score for the query “Davide Corradi”. We, SEOs, have little excuses now and can’t tell our clients/stakeholders that it will take a few months for our changes to be seen and computed by Google.  Nowadays, the big G crawls the web every day.
  • Anchor text is essential. My links wouldn’t pass any authority metrics test. They are coming from PR0 pages with very little inbound links to them.

I wonder if Mr Corradi will buy me a beer now. : )

{ 8 trackbacks }

Oscar Carreras: is it really all about links? | BE GLOBAL: SEO LOCAL | Davide Corradi
February 9, 2010 at 10:52 pm
SEO Competition: On Site Optimisation or Link Building? first 24 hours results | BE GLOBAL: SEO LOCAL | Davide Corradi
February 10, 2010 at 12:36 pm
SEO Competition: Link Building vs On Site Optimisation – first week results | BE GLOBAL: SEO LOCAL | Davide Corradi
February 17, 2010 at 2:23 am
SEO Competition: Link Building vs On Site Optimisation – half way results | BE GLOBAL: SEO LOCAL | Davide Corradi
February 24, 2010 at 3:25 am
SEO Competition: Link Building vs On Site Optimisation - one week to go!" | BE GLOBAL: SEO LOCAL | Davide Corradi
March 3, 2010 at 12:22 am
Search Engine Optimization
August 5, 2014 at 2:43 am
Educaid Tutoring - NYC, LI, Westchester
August 22, 2014 at 4:00 pm
Eli Allen Majestic Images
September 21, 2014 at 12:13 pm

{ 171 comments… read them below or add one }

gift supplier dubai December 20, 2016 at 3:14 pm

This is very interesting, You’re a very professional blogger.
I’ve joined your feed and sit up for in quest of extra of your excellent post.
Also, I have shared your web site in my social networks

water systems definition December 18, 2016 at 8:35 pm

The moment just isn’t right, although we really would prefer to-go straight to a lasting water option.

watch live uk tv online free streaming December 15, 2016 at 5:51 pm

Just let that statistic sink in for a moment: when the new TV
deal starts, less than one-fifth of Stoke’s revenue will come from gate
receipts and business earnings.

amazon men's cashmere sweater December 5, 2016 at 9:03 pm

Hawaiian Store EziBuy which sells through site and Brochure,
, has been caught for in correct labelling of cashmere products.

Rug cleaning Oakville November 29, 2016 at 9:58 am

Nevertheless, Stainmaster carpet Tampa answer provides you that
additional measure of protection that may simply spell the distinction between a carpet that’s ruined eternally, and
one that merely involves an expensive cleaning invoice!

buy bra online uk October 25, 2016 at 11:44 am

You can even open numerous e commerce websites concurrently on separate tabs and examine the website that’s
offering the perfect value.

windows 7 activator by daz October 8, 2016 at 11:20 am

Good post! We are linking to this great post on our website.
Keep up the good writing.

sewing classes October 6, 2016 at 8:50 pm

To alkso assist manage your time, makle sure you have your ironing board and iron set up close to
your sewing space.

Click Here October 4, 2016 at 9:58 am

Every weekend i used to go to see this website, as i want enjoyment, as this this site conations
genuinely good funny information too.

Link to Carl Kruse at this link September 30, 2016 at 7:57 pm

Thanmks to world market events of the previous half-dozen years, many choices exist rright now for where to buuy to earn money whereas also making a new life, and, due to our Age of the Internet, it iss
attainable right this moment to grab these alternatives simply aand price-effectively
to build a brand new life whereas staying in real-time
contact with household, friends, business issues, and funding portfolios from the previous one.

liveactionbaccarat.com September 23, 2016 at 7:57 am

I haᴠe bеen browssing online mⲟre tɦan 4 hohrs toɗay, yet I nevеr found anyy interestіng articpe
lіke yοurs. It іs pretty worth enough fοr me. Personally, if all website owners ɑnd bloggers
made gkod content aѕ you diԀ, thhe intednet աill be much more
uѕeful thawn еveг bᥱfore.

adidas September 18, 2016 at 9:27 pm

For more than a yr, America has led a coalition of
more than 60 nations to chop off ISIL’s financing, disrupt their plots, stop the
flow of terrorist fighters, and stamp out their vicious ideology.

Carley September 4, 2016 at 3:18 pm

Its always so much hassle researching info on uk business card size
cm, glad I found your blog…really useful

video production services near me August 29, 2016 at 8:11 pm

When you discover that the download bar is full, press PLAY button once
more and benefit from the video in its entirety without interruption.

Woodrow August 25, 2016 at 6:41 am

Have you evwr considered about adding a little bit
more than just your articles? I mean, whaat you say iss fundamentl
and all. Howevdr think abkut iff you added solme great graphics
or video clips to give your posts more, “pop”! Your content is excellent
but with images annd clips, this website cluld definitely be one oof the very best in its niche.
Great blog!

cooking lessons in your home toronto August 15, 2016 at 6:23 am

Cooking styles and seasoning additionally fluctuate from region to
region though all the essential cooking methods comparable to boiling, roasting, frying,
steaming and sauteing are used.

fashion earrings online usa August 3, 2016 at 1:13 am

Females in the city areas wore acrylic fingernails extra often as a fashion statement,
with airbrush designs, and hoop earrings.

waste management jobs houston tx July 26, 2016 at 8:42 am

In a metropolis characterised by a wet season, waste
management and sanitation additionally face challenges.

VR Headsets Compared July 19, 2016 at 10:34 pm

The Homido digital actuality headset aims to carry Virtual Reality to your smartphone
whereas offering something a bit of more premium than Google’s Cardboard VR headset.

Cheap VR Headsets July 19, 2016 at 8:09 pm

LG launched a Google Cardboard-like VR headset designed to be
used with its G3 smartphone last year, however this 12 months it is taking things a step further.

Bridgett July 17, 2016 at 6:06 pm

These include your organization tactic, the market place
you happen to be attempting to break into, and perhaps most importantly, your personal private
operate ethic.

flyer printing chennai July 14, 2016 at 5:54 am

On account of this distribution of the financial power, it becomes important for the traders
to achieve out to the far off areas with immense prospects for enterprise.

tinkavimas gipsiniu tinku rotband July 10, 2016 at 12:39 am

Šiltinimas kaip bežiūrėsi, – reikalingas, galima ir
polistirolu, jis perpučiamas kaip ir vata, vis vien vėjo izoliacijos
vaidmenį atliks dekoratyvinis tinkas.

american express gift card June 19, 2016 at 7:16 pm

In actual estate, the firms leading the crowdfunding business entrance are Prodigy Network, Fundrise, Wealth Migrate, Real
Crowd, Groundfloor, Groundbreaker, RealInvest, Realty
Mogul, Sharestates, Patch of Land, to mention a couple
of.

guitar acoustic songs download May 9, 2016 at 3:48 pm

This sheet was created after I was instructing a basic newcomers guitar class
a number of years ago.

international news today fox May 8, 2016 at 10:20 pm

All college college students face challenges, international college students simply
must plan a bit farther ahead to make their education a hit.

i am bored May 1, 2016 at 9:27 am

You actually make it seem so easy with your presentation but I find this
topic to be really somethikng whih I think I would never understand.
It seems too complex and extremely broad for me. I am looking forward forr ypur next post,
I will tryy to get the hang of it!

i am bored May 1, 2016 at 8:53 am

Wow, wonderful blog format! Hoow long have you been running a
blog for? you make running a blog look easy. The whole look of
your site is great, as neatly aas the content!

Thelma Roybee December 13, 2016 at 7:05 pm

Departing content and can certainly return soon!

canon cameras cheap April 20, 2016 at 7:20 pm

In 1983 got here the first title sponsors of the English soccer league The Football League ,
which was named The Canon League from 1983 to 1986, when the sponsorship was taken over by
the Today newspaper.

gnc store locations near me April 4, 2016 at 6:36 am

There can be a phone number listed for every of store in addition to its
operating hours.

network marketing problems March 29, 2016 at 2:31 am

Network Marketing is ideally suited to the entrepreneur who’s looking for monetary freedom
and a gradual passive earnings stream.

bikes parts bmx March 25, 2016 at 7:12 pm

Yello Bike est connu depuis 1990 dans le domaine des visites guidées d’Amsterdam.

catering stone ridge ny March 4, 2016 at 6:05 am

five hundredBothrevolting disgustingnuclear family five hundredtwoextended familyrevolting disgustingKitchenrevolting disgustingnuclear family twoandrevolting disgustingextended family twoMenurevolting disgustingnuclear familyfive hundred revolting disgustingManagementnuclear family is
not going to five hundredtworequirerevolting disgustingnuclear family five hundredtworevolting disgustingasfive
hundred five hundreda lotfive hundred energy five hundredasfive hundred
you use twonuclear familyrevolting disgustingtoextended familyfive hundred five hundredextended familyrevolting
disgustingexertextended family five hundredrevolting disgustingonnuclear familyfive
hundred five hundredtwoextended familyitnuclear familytwofive
hundred five hundredtworevolting disgustingwhenrevolting disgustingextended familytwofive hundred
five hundredusingfive hundred revolting disgustingdownloadablefive hundred five hundredtwonuclear familycateringextended family software programfive hundred.

wireless ceiling speakers bluetooth February 29, 2016 at 8:42 am

Coaxial audio system with conical 90 diploma dispersion are finest,
Tannoy’s concentric drivers have been around for a while and could be
much better suited.

Les Filles D'escorte Paris January 25, 2016 at 12:50 am

From his death onwards, religious authority has rested in the
scriptures, which were renamed Guru Granth Sahib , and in the Sikh neighborhood.

music video download app for iphone January 21, 2016 at 5:31 pm

Laura Branigan initially protested an MTV request to edit her ” Self Control ”
video in 1984, but relented when the network refused to air the William
Friedkin -directed clip, that includes the singer lured by
an increasingly debauched, if increasingly stylized, collection of nightclubs by
a masked man who ultimately takes her to bed. When the climate permits,
get the youngsters outside and transferring.

diet planner January 5, 2016 at 12:39 am

It’s an remarkable piece of writing for all the internet visitors; they will get advantage from it I am sure.

http://www.weddingdaymag.com January 1, 2016 at 5:30 pm

Many will send you advanced packages including
extravagant Dvd videos of their town.

webinarjeo.net January 1, 2016 at 4:45 pm

Good day very cool blog!! Guy .. Beautiful ..
Superb .. I’ll bookmark your site and take the feeds also?

I’m happy to seek out a lot of useful information here
within the publish, we want work out extra techniques on this regard, thanks for sharing.
. . . . .

voyage tanzanie January 1, 2016 at 3:32 am

Ils incluent les vols Kenya et en 4×4 en Tanzanie, avec chauffeurs-guides.

honda cafe racer December 31, 2015 at 4:07 pm

The proceeds of selling your older car can go to the operations of
the charity like giving food or clothing to the family that they supported.
All since then, Indica is floating in the market with
a regular sale. You can visit Monaco Motors for your classic car’s regular check-up and you can also do
your own daily car care so your vintage car will look as new and luxurious as ever.

online games for toddlers December 25, 2015 at 4:48 pm

Enroll free to get all the advantages of registered video games gamers
resembling, excessive scores, your personal avatar, statistics, awards
and much, rather more.

violin covers of popular songs playlist December 21, 2015 at 11:40 am

Orff-Schulwerk methods may help band students understand advanced rhythm
patterns, explore beat and meter, enlarge melodic and harmonic vocabulary and enchancment of improvisation.

dance studios nyc ballet December 18, 2015 at 8:17 am

Trendy dance first emerged in the early twentieth century and has since developed into one of the most outstanding
dance varieties seen as we speak. Every dance class we held performed
the dance.

c7073777937166014963 December 18, 2015 at 7:26 am

Top quality ingredients just like the natural shea butter, rooibos tea extract,
vitamin e, rosemary and neem oil are the proper pure way to
deal with your fragile, delicate underneath eye pores and skin. Utilized in mixture with the organic moisturizing facial cream,
this product will treat the face the best way it wants to
be treated, naturally and organically!

justin bieber 2015 haircut November 18, 2015 at 11:36 pm

If you happen to discover it troublesome to find an age-appropriate track, then you can mix songs in such a way that you simply skip
out the explicit part. You’ll be able to even decide
some songs from cheerleading motion pictures like “Carry It On” and “Cheer” or from dance films like Step Up, Honey,
and so on. Sufficient of this although, let’s get to the principle level –
dance songs for kids. I don’t really need to get into how these songs are an awesome choice to make for some dance numbers for
youths. The hair, the baby face, preppy model.

Gerard A Depaolii November 16, 2015 at 12:10 am

Why users still use to read news papers when inn this
technological world everything iss existing onn web?

wordpress hosting through godaddy November 7, 2015 at 10:24 am

A reseller account also gives you tools to handle the organizing that you manage to market.

artikel bagus November 19, 2016 at 3:08 am

in that picture the search result for the keyword is 231,000 that’s pretty much tough

http://jadwalsepakbola.com/ October 20, 2015 at 3:38 am

Thank you for another great post. The place else may anyone get that kind of
information in such a perfect way of writing? I have a presentation next week, and I’m on the look for such info.

Carma October 5, 2015 at 12:12 pm

I am sure this paragraph haas touche all the internet users, its really
really pleasant article on building up new blog.